Friday 10 April 2015

Passover: Dan's Meringues

Passover is almost over and I still haven't baked everything I wanted to. It seems the Sephardi recipes took major priority in the house this year as I did not have any chance to make my Mother's recipes. Her specialities were cinnamon balls, coconut pyramids and almond macaroons. I have to admit though for some reason I could never get any of these recipes to taste as good as my Mother's.
Today, I'd like to share with you a recipe that my son, Dan, makes so perfectly. Suitable for passover or at any time. I had to ask his permission of course if I could share his recipe and I'm happy to say he agreed. Dan has become an astonishing chef in the kitchen. We first noticed his talents when he began to critise us on our cooking!

Makes 12
50g Chocolate
2 Eggs
100g Sugar

Heat oven to 110c
Line baking trays with greaseproof paper.
Break up the chocolate in to a bowl and place the bowl on top of a saucepan with boiling water. Chocolate must melt until smooth.
Seperate the egg whites from the yolks and place only the whites into a mixing bowl.
Whisk well until it begins to thicken, then add sugar and carry on whisking until firm enough to form peaks.
Drizzle chocolate over the egg mixture and stir around twice to make a marble effect.
Scoop up a tablespoon of mixture and scrape off with a teaspoon on to the baking trays.
Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Turn the oven off but do not take the meringues out, leave them in for a further 15 minutes.
Take out of oven and leave to cool.
Crispy on the outside, gooey marshmallow like on the inside
(You may wish to use slightly less sugar as they do turn out very sweet)





3 comments:

  1. They look wonderful. Isn't it icing sugar he uses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe says to use castor sugar but Dan always uses normal granulated. They do come out rather sweet but still work with normal sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always use regular sugar when a recipe says castor sugar but my pecan and date meringue recipe says to use icing sugar.
      Well done Dan !

      Delete