Tuesday 7 April 2015

Passover: köfte de prasa / leek meatballs

Passover brings lots of questions for me. Why do we do this? Why do we do that? I am never satisfied with the answer of "because that's what we do". I was reading the ingredients on the side of the box of matzo and it said, wheat flour and water. I couldn't understand why then we are not allowed to use normal flour in recipes as it too is made from wheat flour. It took me a phone call to someone in Turkey to be able to have that answered.
Another thing I have learnt this passover thanks to one of Amir's friends is why leeks are used in Sephardi recipes during passover.
It's appearance resembles reeds which reminds us of the parting of the Red Sea.
Köfte (meatballs) are very much a signature dish in Turkey and I remember Amir's Mum roaring with laughter when I told her I had made et toplar. Yes, Turkish friends you will understand the misinterpretation I had made. Et means meat. Toplar means balls, so you would think meatballs would be et toplar, wouldn't you? No, they are called köfte.
These leek meatballs are so delicious, I really don't understand why we only ever make them during passover.

Based on making approx 16
7 or 8 large leeks = approx 750g when cut
150g Minced meat
1 egg
1 matzo
oil
salt & pepper to season

Discard the outer layer and cut the ends off the leeks, slice length ways twice and then slice into pieces.
Wash well and leave to drain.
Boil until soft
Tightly squeeze all the excess water out of the leeks and place in a bowl.
Soak the matzo with water until soft then squeeze out the  excess water and place in the bowl with the leeks
Add minced meat, egg and seasoning.
Knead mixture together with hands 
Take small handfuls, roll and pat down to make rounded oval shapes.
Pour oil in the bottom of a large frying pan and shallow fry the leek balls until golden brown.

These can be eaten warm or cold the next day.

You can also make the above using spinach. Your guideline is approx 750g of spinach to 150g minced meat. Use the same process as above by boiling the spinach and squeezing out the water.
köfte de prasa


together with köfte kon spinaka (spinach)

1 comment:

  1. They are delicious, I know ! They are nice served with squeezed lemon.

    ReplyDelete