Thursday 5 February 2015

Cheese Croquettes

Apart from the fact that they rhyme with minarets, cheese croquettes are both delicious and addictive. They were one of the very first things I ate on the island of Burgaz.
Whilst still living in England, I visited Amir for a two week vacation. My first ever trip to Turkey. I travelled with my very dear house mates and good friends Danny & Vitali. We took Vitali's Aunt & Uncle's boat from Istanbul mainland to Burgaz across the Marmara sea. It was like another world to me, I had never known anyone to own a boat before. I imagined myself like Jackie Onassis with my over sized glamorous sunglasses and wind swept hair, only the reality was that I felt sea sick and my hair was all over the place like a troll.
I remember feeling very nervous as I would be meeting Amir's Mum for the first time. Amir warned me that she didn't speak any English so I prepared myself to just smile constantly at what ever she said hoping that she approved of her son's English girlfriend. With a grin firmly set in place I approached her. Amir introduced me and I shook her hand. Then, she started to speak in English. Amir was in shock, he said to his Mum "I didn't know you could speak English". She laughed and replied "when would I ever get the chance to speak to you in English?". She explained that she used English during her work when she was younger and she amazed herself that she hadn't forgotten her vocabulary. I felt so much more at ease knowing that we could have a conversation, and so, lunch was ordered and I got to know her as much as I could in such a short space of time. 
An array of meze dishes arrived at the table and that's when I indulged in the wonderful melt in your mouth golden croquettes.


250g grated hard cheese
(I use cheddar but any strong flavoured hard cheese is fine)
50g (1 large heaped tablespoon) plain flour
1 egg (egg white only used)
half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
oil for frying

Place the egg white in a bowl and whisk until firm.
Add grated cheese and fold in with a spoon.
Mix in flour and bicarbonate of soda.
Consistency should be firm enough to make small balls.
Place cheese balls in the fridge for as long as possible.
Deep fry and keep balls turning until golden brown and crispy all round.

Tip: Don't over size the balls as they puff, above ingredients should make around 20 balls.












6 comments:

  1. OMG! They sound divine. Can you fry and then re-heat in an oven?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if they can be re-heated to be honest, I think best served fresh.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    Seems so easy that I'll try, but don't want to fail with the size:
    can you tell me what is the expansion factor (sorry for the engineer language), I mean, if I want to end up with one inch diameter, what diameter should I start with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope they turn out well Jul, please let me know if you make them and the outcome. Ok, regarding the size, I would say to prepare them at about 25mm diameter and they will expand to approx 35-40mm. So, I would say visually to start with the size of a large sized marble with above measurement as your guideline. Good Luck. Thank you for your interest xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jul, I would say the longer you keep them in the fridge the better, perhaps a couple of hours if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, will keep you informed :)

    ReplyDelete